Re: [Xen-devel] COW in Xen

Rendon, Curtis schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> I had posted this question in Xen-user mailing list three
> days ago and I did not
> get a single answer. On a second thought, maybe xen-devel is more
> appropriate so
> I am trying again in the hope that I will receive an answer:
>
> Does anybody have an experience (good or bad) with using
> COW (Copy-On-Write) storage in Xen ?
>

> I've been using qcow images generated by qemu-img for Linux and
> MSWIndows HVM guests, and I've been getting good results. The image
> files are much smaller that the equivalently sized raw images.
>
> I simply create them (via gemi-img create -f qcom 10G) and use the
> disk=['file:...'] line in my guest configuration files.

If I got Mark right, it's not the image type qcow itself, he's
interested in,
but the COW (Copy-on-write) feature. Some time ago I tried to get
COW working with qcow images, without success. So I guess the name
is missleading, and (in Xen) there's no COW based on qcow.

I'd really like to get a simple file based COW - is this planned for
future Xen releases? Maybe someone can comment?

Bye,
   Marcel