Re: [Xen-devel] Re: c/s 14420 (gcc 3.4+ required)

On 19/3/07 12:44, "Jan Beulich" <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I just scanned the tree and couldn't spot any such instance. Could you point
>> me to one?
>
> Okay, sorry, I found one - I had skipped the public headers, as I assumed you
> wouldn't change those, forgetting about the few __XEN__/__XEN_TOOLS__
> conditionals in there.

Like I said, its hardly an insurmountable obstacle to support of gcc 3.3.x.
But in general requiring a modern gcc will avoid exposure to bugs specific
to older gcc, avoid needing workarounds for bugs in older gcc, and allow us
to use new gcc features without requiring consideration of older gcc. That's
my default position unless there's a good reason to do otherwise. Given how
much we depend on subtleties of gcc, I think this is the sane approach. :-)

 -- Keir