Re: [Xen-devel] Re: NUMA and SMP

* Daniel Stodden <stodden@xxxxxxxxxx> [2007-03-22 07:29]:
> On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 20:13 +0800, tgh wrote:
> > Thank you for your reply

> > > the number of nodes corresponds to the number of memory areas which
> > > allocators need distinguish. in the case of integrated memory
> > > controllers like amd64, expect to find as many nodes as there are
> > > processors.
> > >
> > > yes, linux has numa support. see linux/Documentation/vm/
> > >

> > linux has numa support,and in the case of integrated memory controllers
> > like amd64, CONFIG_NUMA should be choice and linux support numa,is it
> > right? if CONFIG_NUMA is not choice ,then linux could not work well in
> > the case of integrated memory controllers even for amd64,is it right?
>

> > and for the paravirt xen-guest-linux do not support  numa-aware  now ,or
> > does it  support  numa-aware  if CONFIG_NUMA choiced?
>
> no. there is num-support in xen, as far as inspection of the memory
> topology and inclusion in the memory management is concerned. so
> basically, you can add the desired node number to get_free_pages().

There is NUMA support in Xen since 3.0.4 in the hypervisor, and we have
the capability to ensure a guest memory is local to the processors being
used.  The topology of the system is not exported to the guest so
CONFIG_NUMA in the guest kernel config will be of no value.

--
Ryan Harper
IBM Corp., Austin, Tx