[Xen-devel] APIC initialization when config file has "apic=0".

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:13:05 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 18:15:47 +0100

I've been working (as a side-project) on a problem with "no interrupts"
I'm seeing with some "simple guests"[1].

To me, if config file has "apic=0", the APIC should not stop the guest
from being able to use the 8259 as an interrupt source. But this appears
to be the case - and as far as I can see, it's because the APIC mode is
not initialized (correctly/at all) when the guest is started.

Shouldn't "apic=0" mean that the guest appears like there's no APIC? In
which case, this should mean that the IA32_APIC_BASE MSR should have the
APIC disable bit set.

If my above statement is correct, how can the hvm-code get the value of
the APIC from the domain creation script (or command line)?

[1] A simple guest is essentially a replacement for "hvmloader" that is
loaded into memory and starts executing whatever you filled the
executable with.

--
Mats