Re: [Xen-devel] [Patch] [libxc] add missing free in xc_finish_mmu_updates to avoid memory leak

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 22:42:39 +0100
Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6/4/07 14:45, "Stephan Creutz" <stephan.creutz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > the following patch adds a missing free to xc_finish_mmu_updates,
> > otherwise the memory allocated by xc_init_mmu_updates gets never
> > freed.
>
> The only user of this interface calls free() on that memory itself. It
> also calls finish_mmu_update() more than once on the same mmu
> structure, so freeing it in finish_mmu_update() would not work.
> Probably best we rename xc_init_mmu_updates() to
> xc_alloc_mmu_updates(), finish_mmu_update to flush_mmu_updates(), and
> document the need for explicit free() in the header file. I'll do
> this.

Oops, overlooked that, but xc_finish_mmu_updates sounded like a
destructor. The new function names you propose and the comment should
clear things up. But I would disagree to make the whole interface
private (read that in the staging changelog) because otherwise I will
have to duplicate the code for a program I'm working on (see my post
recently before). On the other hand it would be a minimal effort to
recode that for my needs.

Stephan