Re: [Xen-devel] The differences between two patch methods in Xen?

IIRC, the patches directory contains patches that aren't directly part
of the Xen modifications (e.g. stuff that is going into upstream Linux
independent of the Xen patches, or stuff that's been backported from a
later kernel release).

The sparse tree is intended for Xen stuff that the developers want to be
able to view and edit in a convenient way (don't have to regenerate and
reapply patches before rebuilding each time something is changed in the
code - instead, the sparse tree files are symlinked into the Linux
source directory, so changes show up immediately).

HTH,
Cheers,
Mark