Re: [Xen-devel] Is patches/linux-2.6.18/xen-hotplug.patch still necessary?

On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 08:05 +0100, Keir Fraser wrote:
> On 8/5/07 23:26, "Alex Williamson" <alex.williamson@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >    Is the patch below, that's currently in the Xen tree, still
> > necessary?  The original commit comment indicates this is so things like
> > 'top' don't get upset during CPU hotplugs.  But should that be handled
> > by the hotplug infrastructure in the kernel (or top itself)?
>
> It has to be handled in top itself. With some versions at least it was the
> case that top would crash when CPUs where hot-unplugged. If you revert that
> patch, does your version of top work okay in the hot-unplug case (you have
> to run top across the unplug operation to see if it will crash or not)?

   Top still crashes without that patch, but the patch just hides the
problem.  Top also crashes during a CPU hotplug operation on bare metal.
I think this patch causes more problems than if fixes.  Thanks,

        Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Open Source & Linux Org.