Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] Re: Xen 3.1 released!

Tomasz Chmielewski schrieb:

Also, there's one more feature which doesn't work for me:

 - Preliminary save/restore/migrate support for HVM (e.g. Windows) VMs;

What does "preliminary" mean here? I tried saving/restoring HVM domains, but it just doesn't work.

When I try to do /etc/init.d/xendomains stop, it does something for a long time, and then, my SSH session is just disconnected.

When I log in again, xend doesn't work anymore:

# xm list
Error: Unable to connect to xend: Connection refused. Is xend running?

When I start xend again, and then start xendomains, there is my domain in a weird state:

# xm list
Name                                      ID   Mem VCPUs      State Time(s)
Domain-0 0 256 2 r----- 134.9 migrating-w2k3-001 2 1759 1 ---s-- 64.4

Similar happens when I try to save the domain manually:

# xm save w2k3-001 /srv/check-2k

And Xen server restarted.

(...)

I inspected the logs, and it was the OOM-killer. Should it ever happen when saving a guest domain? Xen host has 256 MB RAM for dom0 (3 GB total), Xen guest 1.7 GB.

It appears that saving of HVM somains needs more memory: in this particular case, when I increased memory for dom0, about 350 MB RAM was used in total during the domain save.

After that, save/restore was fine.

So I just removed dom0_mem entry from grub; I don't think it's needed.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org