Re: [Xen-devel] Xen doesnt recognize my root fs, while native kernel can ???

  • To: "pradeep singh rautela" <rautelap@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Jun Koi" <junkoi2004@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 18:39:04 +0900
  • Cc: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 02:37:04 -0700

On 6/13/07, pradeep singh rautela <rautelap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 6/13/07, Jun Koi  wrote:
[snip]
> > The other very common problem is that you don't have those necessary
> > drivers in the "initrd" for your Xen. This is a problem that is posted
> > about three times a week (at least) on the Xen Users mailing list [where
> > this problem probably should be discussed - but I think since it's
> > started here, we'll keep it here].
> >

> No, that is not a reason in my case. I did it this way:
> - Native kernel (2.6.18) is compiled with all the necessary drivers
> built-in. That means I dont need initrd to boot my machine with this
> kernel. And it boots well.
> - I copied the .config of native kernel above to Dom0, and compile
> Dom0 with this option. (Of course before compiling, I enabled Xen
> option, as you can see in the .config of Dom0 I sent in the last
> mail). Again this time I dont need initrd.
With my personal experiences with numerous attempts to install Xen
from src, i suggest make an initramfs/initrd image. That is pretty
much useful at times.
Take more care to include your root fs type to be built statically in
the kernel and not as a module. Can yo check on this?
Also same goes for your /boot fs type(if you have a separate /boot
partition though).

And yes, what about your scsi and SATA drivers?

Everything is built-in, so I dont see why I need initrd. Actually I
never use initrd, and it is always fine for me, except this time. The
problem like this never happens with me before.

Thanks,
Jun