Re: [Xen-devel] Xen Socket API

> On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 03:36:14PM +0100, Mark Williamson wrote:
> > > Is there any code available for this or it is still a paper-concept?
> >
> > I believe XenSockets and another Xen-oriented network acceleration
> > technology have been coded, but I don't know of any releases of the code
> > as-yet. Something like this is bound to be made available at some stage,
> > but I don't know if the original authors want to release their code.
>
> The original code was very recently made available on sourceforge under
> GPL:
>
>    http://sourceforge.net/projects/xvmsocket/
>
> Medium-to-long term though I don't see a Xen specific socket impl as really
> being a viable model.

I think it would have very little chance of being accepted upstream.  The xway
TCP-over-Xen implementation would have even less chance of being accepted *as
is* due to making modifications to the Linux network stack.

> A generic solution based on the new Virt-IO paravirt
> infrastructure will be more appealing to app developers because it'll be
> possible to make use of it across all the different impls of paravirt_ops
> in Linux (ie Xen, KVM, VMWare, LGuest).

Yep.  If a generic solution using something like virtio is available *and*
there are multiple hypervisors which can leverage it then hopefully it would
have a decent chance of being included.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.