Re: [Xen-devel] [Fwd: [Xen-users] two serial port in HVM DomU patch]

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 10:43:23PM +0000, Keir Fraser wrote:
> I'd advocate a dm_args domain config option, which would be a string of qemu
> command-line arguments which would be dumbly passed straight through to
> qemu-dm without any further processing by xend.
>
> Then you could just do 'dm_args = "serial=/dev/ttyS0 serial=/dev/ttyS1"' and
> not need any changes to qemu source code at all. And this would also let you
> get at any other underlying features of qemu too. Much nicer.

I think that's a bad idea as any info in this generic 'dm_args' is now lost
to the formal API data model. eg If a management app wants to talk to XenD
and determine how / if the serial port is configured, it now has to look
at both the formally specified 'serial' param, and also parse the command
line args in 'dm_args'.  Sure it means we have to write less code in XenD,
but it means that all users talking to XenD have much more work todo. I
don't really see that as a net win.

Dan.