Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [XEN-IOMMU] Proposal of DMA protection/isolationsupport

hi
IOMMU, could it be used in KVM ,or not? if it could , what about the difference between the usage in xen and the usage in KVM?

Thanks

Ian Pratt åé:
After looking into the grant mapping code (use block device as an
example), I got some ideas to share with you and the list.  Please
correct me if I missed something. There might be 2 places to trigger
iommu mapping:

1) Before submitting io request to generic block layer, block backend
driver will invoke GNTTABOPs to map granted remote pages .  However
creating iommu mapping only in GNTTABOP not very enough because local
pages will also be submitted to block layer and they should also be
translated by iommu.

2) When dma layer is invoked to prepare a bus address for native block
device driver. It would be better to have a "hypervisor-aware" dma
layer
which always maps virtual address to bus address via hypercall.
__gnttab_dma_map_page() might be a good place to trigger this new
hypercall. Both remote and local pages can be mapped by this way.

It's much better to create most mappings in #1 when the operations are
easily batchable into a single hypercall, and then fill in the missing
mappings when required at #2.

Since in many situations dom0 does very little IO for itself, this
should be a significant win, especially for networking.

Ian