Re: [Xen-devel] A question no one can answer

  • To: "Alan Cox" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Dan Doucette" <doucette.daniel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 11:56:37 -0800
  • Cc: weiming <zephyr.zhao@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Stober <rstober@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 11:57:05 -0800

Hello Robert and others,

Below is a link to a presentation given at a conference last summer, where the authors used cache colour allocation schemes to limit L2 cache overuse by an application.
If your goal is to create a fair memory share per-guest (bandwidth or otherwise), you may want to consider the possibility of managing it from a level closer to the CPU.

http://www.ideal.ece.ufl.edu/workshops/wiosca07/P4Slides.pdf

Dan.

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 5:05 AM, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 22:24:18 -0500
"Robert Stober" <rstober@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Weiming,
>
> I agree that it is very hard, and that no one has done it. But
> nevertheless I suggest the following question to the Xen developers:
>
> Given the fact that memory bandwidth is shared amongst multiple cores on
> a single die, assume that one VM is running on each core. What is to
> stop one VM from saturating the memory bus, causing reduced performance
> of all the other VMs? This is the general multi-core problem, not
> specific to Xen. But it affects Xen greatly. What use is it to allocate
> memory to a VM if it can't use the memory because a process of another
> VM has saturated the memory bus?

Its perfectly doable on modern x86 - you use the profiling registers and
set them up so you get a threshold interrupt when too much main memory
traffic is counted (which you use to reschedule punishing the memory
user). There are research papers on it from quite a long time back but
afaik nobody ever implemented it in production although its not too hard
to do so might be an interesting project.

Alan