[Xen-devel] Re: [Xense-devel] Infineon vtpm problem

xense-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 02/26/2008 06:28:01 PM:

> Hi
>
> I have successfully applied the patch mentioned here
> (http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xense-devel/2007-04/msg00005.html)
> to the xen v. 3.1.3 on an HP nx8325 with Infineon TPM.
>
> I cleared the tpm, deleted /var/vtpm/VTPM file and rebooted.
>
> After reboot, vtpm_managerd runs ok. (output is attched to the mail.)
>
> I created a pv vm with the option vtpm = ['instance=1, backend=0'] The
> vm boots fine.
>
> I installed trousers-0.3.1 and tpm-tools-1.3.1 from sources on the vm.
>
> I run tcsd -f on the vm. (output is attched to the mail.)
>
> I checkout and run the trousers test suite. 10 tests passed with 230
> failed. (Is this expected?)

It is likely that this (v)TPM implementation has quite a few bugs, but I would not expect that many errors.

> When I try tpm_takeownership on the vm, the command runs fine. (Although
> a strange warning appers on tcsd output which is attched).

This error may be related to older versions of the TPM device driver having used an ioctl interface for sending/receiving commands to/from the TPM and the TSS still tries this interface first. This should not be a reason for the errors you are seeing.

> But when I try tpm_sealdata < foo on the vm I get the following error.
>
> Tspi_Key_LoadKey failed: 0x00003113 - layer=tsp, code=0113 (275),
> Authorization failed
>
> But other tpm_version runs fine on vm.
>
> tpm-test:~# tpm_version
>   TPM 1.2 Version Info:
>   Chip Version:        1.2.0.4
>   Spec Level:          2
>   Errata Revision:     94
>   TPM Vendor ID:
>   TPM Version:         01010000
>   Manufacturer Info:   4554485a
>
> Also this quote is from Xen User's Guide:
>
> "Similarly, the TPM frontend driver must be compiled for the kernel
> trying to use TPM functionality. Its driver can be selected in the
> kernel configuration section Device Driver / Character Devices / TPM
> Devices. Along with that the TPM driver for the built-in TPM must be
> selected."
>
> According to my understanding driver for the built-in TPM must be
> selected on the kernel where TPM frontend driver is used. Am I correct
> about this assumption? (The problem is tpm_infineon driver can not be

The driver for the built-in Infineon TPM must be built into Domain-0, the TPM frontend driver in the guest domain and the backend driver also into Domain-0. This has probably been done correctly since otherwise the vTPM would not work at all.

> selected on an unpriviledged kernel, it can only be selected on a
> priviledged kernel)
>
> Am I missing something here? Why do I get auth errors?

Did you try to run the same sequence of comands (tpm commands, test suite etc.) on a plain Linux kernel with the TSS stack against the built-in Infineone TPM? From what I remember, the test suite for the TSS stack either tries to set a specific TPM owner password or it must previously have been set to it by the user, otherwise many authentication errors will occur.

   Stefan