Re: [Xen-devel] blk_{get,put}_queue() use in blkback

  • To: Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 13:48:37 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 05:49:54 -0800

It's really old code to let us keep a handle on the last request_queue we
stuffed a request onto. This is because we plug that queue until we have
finished pulling down a batch of blkfront work, then unplug it.

Is this the best way to do that? Is there a benefit to doing this in the
first place on 2.6 kernels? To be honest I do not know. We'd need to ask
someone like Jens Axboe, and/or just kill that code and measure resulting
disc throughput performance. My guess is that it's merely legacy cruft from
the 2.4 era of blkback (also I wrote that code back in 2004 and I remember
not having much of a clue at the time about Linux 2.4 block interfaces!).

 -- Keir