Re: [Xen-devel] TUN and TAP Documentation

  • To: Pavel Muller <pav.muller@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 16:48:42 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 08:49:59 -0800

They warrant only a short description because their functionality is very simple. For example a TAP device is simply a device which can be accessed by user-space applications to read() and write() raw Ethernet frames. The TAP device is also visible to the OS network stack and can be included in e.g., bridging, firewalling, routing configurations. Hence the name: it provides a user-space ‘tap’ into the network link layer.

 -- Keir