Re: [Xen-devel] Is it possible to make hypercall from user application directly?

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 12:13 -0500, weiming wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I implemented my own Hypercall in xen.
>
> Now I wish my application under dom0 could talk to Xen via my
> hypercall.
> Currently, I make a stub in dom0's kernel, which works as a proxy to
> forward the request. So, my application first makes a system call to
> dom0, which then makes hypercall to xen.
>
> Is this design necessary? May I call hypercalls from user application
> under dom0 directly?

No, not directly (didn't we have that syscall conversation recently? ;).

But for dom0-only privileged operations there's /proc/xen/privcmd to
rule them all. See e.g. do_xen_hypercall() in tools/libxc/.

regards,
Daniel

--
Daniel Stodden
LRR     -      Lehrstuhl fÃr Rechnertechnik und Rechnerorganisation