[Xen-devel] Re: Accellerated windows graphics drivers

James, VMGL should hit the ground running for your UNIXes, but I haven't done any work towards Windows compatibility. You might find this more immediately useful http://qemu-forum.ipi.fi/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2984&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=95ec25d08ccdaddbe46c33264aa1797f Your mileage will vary, and is only OpenGL, but looks promising. No easy solution for Direct 3D. dxgl and wined3d claim to translate Direct3D calls into OpenGL. They look scary. But you need something like this sooner rather than later, as dom0 is UNIX. And don't forget getting your GPU drivers to work in dom0... Andres On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 11:40:29AM +1100, James Harper wrote:

Has anyone ever seriously thought about implementing a 3d acceleration
driver for windows (or linux too I guess)? I imagine that you would need
the following components:

1. a windows frontend driver that handles directx calls from Windows and
puts them on a ring for the backend
2. a linux backend driver that gets these requests and passes them to a
userspace application
3. a special linux X xen console driver (eg not VNC) that handles these
requests and converts them to GL calls

Doesn't sound like a particularly small job...

I think wine can already do this.. ie. convert d3d calls to GL calls.
Maybe this is interesting too: http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~andreslc/xen-gl/

"VMGL: OpenGL Hardware 3D Acceleration for Virtual Machines"

-- Pasi