[Xen-devel] RE: the /gplpv option

(posted back to xen-devel too)

> Could you explain how this option is evaluated exactly and if i can
> check somewhere these option?
> is it case sensitive checks it for exact match of a string / substring?
> or is a field set/toggled?
>
> I need this for win 2008

Have a look in xenhide/xenhide.c for the exact implementation, but basically
I just query HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SystemStartOptions and
see if it contains the string 'GPLPV'. If it does, then xenhide installs
itself as a filter on any device that has a HardwareID of '*PNP0A03' (PCI
Bus does). If it manages to install itself as a filter to at least one
device it then publishes a device interface with a guid of
GUID_XENHIDE_IFACE (see xenhide.h).

If, after doing that, it doesn't manage to find and hide a device with a
CompatibleID or HardwareID of 'PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7010' (PCI IDE device) it
then forces a BSoD on the basis that if it hasn't hidden the IDE device then
bad things are going to happen, and a BSoD is the safer option.

I'd like to add some additional options to:
. Specify additional PCI device types to hide (eg because the qemu code has
been updated and my drivers haven't caught up - this has happened at least
once already)
. Specify xen device types to not enumerate (eg not xenvfb)
. Turn off the above BSoD option if required

So if you feel like doing some coding, these are the sort of things I'm
aiming for.

James