Re: [Xen-devel] Does XEN use TUN/TAP interface?

On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 15:52 +0100, Pavel Muller wrote:
> Hello,
> I want to ask if XEN use TUP/TAP interfaces or use other interface?

No. TUN/TAP is typically used for hosted VMs. Broadly speaking, it's
only useful if a significant part of the VMM is running in user mode on
top of a native Linux, as is the case with VMware Workstation,
VirtualBox, UserModeLinux etc.

Xen is a hypervisor, running below all OSes on bare hardware. The
network virtualization is based on a Linux OS (dom0), but the guests
aren't running on top of that, but rather as siblings on a common
virtualization layer.

There's a dedicated interface class (vifN.M) in dom0. The purpose is
similar, but the interplay with guests is quite a different one.

>  I know that linux uses these interfaces and I suppose that most of
> virtual machine too, because  they are  based on  linux architecture,
> isn't true? Do you think that VirtualBox uses TUN/TAP? I know, this
> question is for members of VirtualBox mailing list, but if you know it
> so I will happy. Thanks for your advise.

hth,
Daniel

--
Daniel Stodden
LRR     -      Lehrstuhl fÃr Rechnertechnik und Rechnerorganisation