RE: [Xen-devel] Integrate kqemu emulation into xen hypervisor possible?

  • To: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ross S. W. Walker" <rwalker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 15:04:58 -0400
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 12:05:28 -0700

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 02:41:17PM -0400, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> > I have always wondered why the xen developers decided to keep the qemu
> > name for the domain device provider after they have completely gutted
> > and pratically rewritten the original code?
>
> Xen has not re-written the original code. QEMU provides both a CPU
> emulator and a plethora of devices. Xen merely uses the device emulation
> and not the CPU emulation. There's a few patches to integrate with Xen
> but it is not a re-write.

Ok, I understand, merely removed the CPU emulation. Does that mean it
tracks very closely with upstream's version?

> > How about calling it just 'dm' for domain manager?
>
> No, renaming functional components for mere cosmetic reasons, will cause real
> world breakage for existing deployments. This is not a net win.

Well I was thinking of the situation where one might be running qemu
instances on dom0 and when trying to work out which instance belonged
to Xen and which to QEmu it would be difficult.

'killall qemu' would be very bad to find in a shutdown script.

-Ross