Re: [Xen-devel] Status of "Out of SW-IOMMU space" problem?

Well, I have to add 2 eurocents on this issue ;)

I am struggling with this since months, but I could not do too much, having all servers in production. I eventually managed to setup a test server, so I hope I can progress on this.

As you say, latest firmware update does not help (to be correct, i have the *feeling* it took me more time to reproduce, but it crashed anyway).

So far, I have the following observations:
- Xen 3.1.0 and the associated kernel (2.6.18) works (this is what we have on all our production servers) - Any newer version starting from Xen 3.1.1 (again each time with the matching kernel) show the "Out of SW-IOMMU space" problem

In all cases, I am using the same 3ware 3w-9xxx driver from 3ware, as the 9650SE is not supported in the stock kernel. So the issue is coming from 'elsewhere'.

I had a look in what happened between 3.1.0 and 3.1.1, and we have a handful of changes in linux-2.6-xen-sparse/arch/i386/kernel/swiotlb.c (5 changesets to be precise)

I'll try to spend some time in reverting these changes to see if it helps...

--
Philippe

Stephan Seitz wrote:
No, firmware updates doesn't solve this issue.
At least not for us. I updated different 7000 and 8000 series controller
without any success.
But I'm also interested if there's some patch around for this 'out of sw-iommu'
error ;)

Stephan

Keir Fraser schrieb:
I'd be interested to know if it does. Unfortunately I have my doubts since the patch fixes a page-boundary straddling issue, and if that were the root
problem it's unlikely to be affected by controller firmware updates.

 -- Keir