[Xen-devel] stub domain or "hyper thread" in xen

  • To: Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Ashish Bijlani" <ashish.bijlani@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 23:40:52 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 13 May 2008 20:41:13 -0700

Hello,

Why can't a guest domain be associated with a dom0 kernel thread (I
call hyper thread) instead of a stub domain to do the I/O
independently? I'm talking about introducing hyper threads
(essentially dom0 kernel threads) below a guest domain's kernel
threads and moving backend drivers and qemu device model functionality
from dom0 to these "hyper threads" to do I/O independently.The idea is
based on user-kernel thread model i.e. similar to the user-kernel
thread architecture to do I/O through syscalls in an OS, there can be
a guest kernel thread and a hyper thread association to do the I/O
through hypercalls in an hypervisor based platform.

-Ashish