Re: Re: [Xen-devel] SetPageForeign in netback

  • To: "Zang Hongyong" <zanghongyong@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Grzegorz Miłoś" <gm281@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:22:37 +0100
  • Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 04:23:34 -0700
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=googlemail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition :references:x-google-sender-auth; b=JJpU7mYk/It7BIGoJCNKMewv5nKrYbkRyYHERs8zB+o522LkIrrPpdyN8IcWnpVWwu FwyUo025zEwzMaMlDBgS3DH95m999AzS+b5G/q/dR9BF4hXvMWnheDE1hxJIDJxP+mo6 3AHQPYDs/Mx5u64avg0uay32LzlVWaGFsEdMk=

> thanks. Maybe I understand.
> Another question
> In netback:
> static inline void maybe_schedule_tx_action(void)
> {
>        smp_mb();
>        if ((NR_PENDING_REQS < (MAX_PENDING_REQS/2)) &&
>            !list_empty(&net_schedule_list))
>                tasklet_schedule(&net_tx_tasklet);
> }
> ... ...
>
> while
> #define NR_PENDING_REQS (MAX_PENDING_REQS - pending_prod + pending_cons)
> that is NR_PENDING_REQS = MAX_PENDING_REQS - (pending_prod - pending_cons)
>
> My question is when NR_PENDING_REQS cannot satisfy the above condition
> "(NR_PENDING_REQS < (MAX_PENDING_REQS/2)"?
> why not handle the condition of "NR_PENDING_REQS >= (MAX_PENDING_REQS/2)"?

If there are many pending requests (more then MAX/2), new requests
will have to wait on frontend-backend rings (a form of congestion
control). When some of the pending requests get dealt with (and
NR_PENDING_REQS falls below MAX/2) new ones will be accepted.

Also, note that net_tx_tasklet doesn't only get scheduled by
maybe_schedule_tx_action. There also is:
- netbk_tx_pending_timeout: triggered by a timeout timer
- netif_idx_release: triggered by a net data page being released
The three net_tx_tasklet schedulers guarantee continuous flow of skbs
out of netback.

Cheers
Gr(z)egor(z)

> ======= 2008-06-19 15:22:58 您在来信中写道:=======
>
>>The aim is to achieve batching and scheduling of work (to some extent) on
>>both the transmit and receive paths. So no vif gets starved, and larger
>>batches of packets are handled more efficiently.
>>
>> -- Keir
>>

>>On 19/6/08 01:40, "Zang Hongyong" <zanghongyong@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks again!
>>> Another question about netback.
>>> tasklet is used in both tx and rx. Lets take a look at rx, Before tasklet,
>>> packets of all vnifs must be queued together, and in tasklet packet will be
>>> dequeued, and handled to its proper netfront of domU.
>>> 1)why not handle packet directly without the overall queue and tasklet
>>> stuff?
>>> 2)Is the overall queue and tasklet stuff fair to all vnifs? For example,
>>> when
>>> vif1.0 rx, the netback driver put its packet to overall queue and do