Re: Re: Re: [Xen-devel] SetPageForeign in netback

  • To: "Zang Hongyong" <zanghongyong@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Grzegorz Miłoś" <gm281@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 00:21:28 +0100
  • Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 16:21:52 -0700
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=googlemail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition :references:x-google-sender-auth; b=plANvKVNL6xFIR5lwhdB1tWtysSCGdZZl1vFea8LPRiuHXIKlk+StO5/VLv12HvR89 gd71uPnIQtTM83G96sx8QILWfjIPN135zURmAaFiZqHSpGbM9FvmPUfFsZqwBG30sXlz iL2Ypft4ID95o7CEa9eWPpH2baasnK/JmZPtg=

> what about another question:
>
> In netback netif_be_start_xmit()
>        if (!netif->copying_receiver ||
>            ((skb_headlen(skb) + offset_in_page(skb->data)) >= PAGE_SIZE)) {
>                struct sk_buff *nskb = netbk_copy_skb(skb);
> which calls skb_copy_bits()
>
> it means when rx-flip, the skb data and frags are copied to another buffer.
> then the buffer flip with domU's pages.
> so before page flip with domU, copying happens in dom0. Does rx-flip make any
> sense?

The reason why you have to copy is to make sure that you pull the skb
into a fresh page (which doesn't have any other pieces of data in it).
It's only then that you can flip it to DomU.
It used to be the case that the backend was more efficient in the
rx-flip mode. Some/most skbs copies were avoided by keeping a close
eye on the skb allocation. Since rx-flip is now only/mostly kept for
backward compatibility (rx-copy is the default) the code was
simplified.
Note: with grant table copy you can ask the hypervisor to copy
sub-page regions (in our case you can match the size of the skb)

Cheers
Gr(z)egor(z)