Re: FW: [Xen-devel] qemu-dm exit(1) for invalid option '-vncviewer' -- Xen #18023

Keir Fraser writes ("FW: [Xen-devel] qemu-dm exit(1) for invalid option
'-vncviewer' -- Xen #18023"):
> Conversation: qemu-dm exit(1) for invalid option '-vncviewer' -- Xen #18023
> Subject: [Xen-devel] qemu-dm exit(1) for invalid option '-vncviewer' -- Xen
> #18023

This option works (worked) by passing the caller's display and
xauthority through xm and xend to qemu.  qemu then connects to it
later.  This is a very remarkable way of going about things.  Its
security properties are problematic from several points of view.

I had assumed that because it was so strange no-one would be using it,
so I deliberately dropped that change.  Evidently I was wrong.  If
this is a feature that is seriously used then I could reinstate it but
I think it should come with a health warning.

A better place to implement this would be xm or some higher level
tool, I think, but that wouldn't be sensible at this stage of the
release cycle.

> Looks xm/xend is still passing '-vncviewer' to qemu-dm, which causes
> qemu-dm exit(1), and HVM guest creation is failed.

For now, if you turn off the vncviewer option it will work.  If there
is demand I'll look into cross-porting this feature (on Monday,
probably).

Ian.