Re: FW: [Xen-devel] qemu-dm exit(1) for invalid option '-vncviewer' -- Xen #18023

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 11:39:13AM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Keir Fraser writes ("FW: [Xen-devel] qemu-dm exit(1) for invalid option
> '-vncviewer' -- Xen #18023"):
> > Conversation: qemu-dm exit(1) for invalid option '-vncviewer' -- Xen #18023
> > Subject: [Xen-devel] qemu-dm exit(1) for invalid option '-vncviewer' -- Xen
> > #18023
>
> This option works (worked) by passing the caller's display and
> xauthority through xm and xend to qemu.  qemu then connects to it
> later.  This is a very remarkable way of going about things.  Its
> security properties are problematic from several points of view.
>
> I had assumed that because it was so strange no-one would be using it,
> so I deliberately dropped that change.  Evidently I was wrong.  If
> this is a feature that is seriously used then I could reinstate it but
> I think it should come with a health warning.

I think it should be killed - its easy todo it in the 'xm' client code,
after all xm already knows how to spawn 'xm console' for text mode
display - this is just same use case in graphical mode.

> A better place to implement this would be xm or some higher level
> tool, I think, but that wouldn't be sensible at this stage of the
> release cycle.

xm already seems to have some kind of vncviewer support, though its
running it in listen mode, rather than connect mode.

Daniel