RE: [Xen-devel] can't create any more pv-on-hvm domains after~38under 3.3-testing

> On 05/12/2008 01:15, "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> > For me, the following is sufficient:
> >
> > xm create my_hvm_domain && xm destroy my_hvm_domain
> >
> > This is using:
> > . latest xen-3.3-testing.hg
> > . latest linux-2.6.18-xen.hg
> > . Debian Etch (some packages upgraded to Lenny)
> > . amd64 hypervisor
> > . amd64 Dom0
> > . 32 bit Windows 2003 DomU (doesn't matter - the problem occurs even
if
> > I destroy it before it completes POST)
> >
> > That will leave a single page in the domain as shown by 'xm debug q'
>
> My best guess is that it's related to running on AMD. That's the
biggest
> difference in your setup compared with mine. Also you run a 64-bit
dom0,
> which is a pain for me, but I think that's less likely to have an
effect.
> Are you able to try on an Intel box for comparison?

I don't have any intel boxes that I could readily try it on.

I just noticed that my pv domain suffers the same problem (won't shut
down etc) and actually leaves 2 pages instead of one:

(XEN) Memory pages belonging to domain 1:
(XEN)     DomPage 0000000000213789: caf=00000001, taf=00000000e8000001
(XEN)     DomPage 0000000000213788: caf=00000001, taf=00000000e8000001

I wonder if it's possible that some Debian code is left around somewhere
on my machine... any suggestions for where that could be that would
cause a problem with Xen? It just seems to me that this problem is
severe enough that if it really was a problem with Xen and not my setup
that others would have noticed it too...

James