RE: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Disable xen platform device when it is not needed.

> > > So my idea does not break your usage.
> >
> > Maybe I don't understand your idea, but I think you are saying that
if
> > ioemu is specified then the PV drivers won't work because you will
> > disable the platform pci device.
>
> I suppose your understanding is right.
>
> BTW, I have one question.
> If you want to use the PV drivers, I don't think xen requires "ioemu"
> option.
> Without "ioemu" option, xen will enable the emulated devices.
> Why do you need "ioemu" option?

For booting. I don't think PV boot in HVM is supported properly yet is
it? That post I was directed to appears to just be an idea.

Also, the instructions for setting up GPLPV specify to add a separate
entry into boot.ini with a '/NOGPLPV' option in it which will disable
the PV device drivers and use the ioemu drivers, which is useful for
testing to see if an error is being caused by the GPLPV drivers or is
unrelated. Also safe mode will disable the PV drivers (I'm not sure if
that will stay that way though). It would be a nuisance to have to edit
the domu config file each time you wanted to flip between the two modes.

Do you have an objection to something like an explicit
'xen_platform_pci=0' option in the config to disable the PCI device?
That seems like a far more sensible way of doing things IMHO if users
are really bothered by the extra PCI device.

James