Re: [Xen-devel] xenconsoled needs restart after long dom0 uptime otherwise domU console output hangs and domU doesn't come up

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 06:38:59PM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 11:21:12PM +0800, Teck Choon Giam wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 7:22 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I've seen this happening on dom0s running RHEL/CentOS 5.0 (Xen 3.0.3) and
> > > RHEL/CentOS 5.1 (Xen 3.1.0).
> > >
> > > I just upgraded to 5.2 so can't tell (yet) if it happens with Xen 3.1.2.
> > >
> > > I'm running 32bit x86 PAE, and the domU kernels in question are Debian
> > > etch
> > > 2.6.18-6-xen-686. I think it also happens RHEL/CentOS 5.x kernel-xen, but
> > > not totally sure about that. I think I also saw it with Fedora 8/9
> > > domU kernel-xen once.
> > >
> > > Looks like a bug in xenconsoled..
> >
> > FYI, I encountered similar issue about can't get new domainU/xenU to
> > start or even existing running domainU/xenU to restart (meaning can
> > shutdown xenU but can't start it back).  In the end, I noticed that
> > this was due to udev package being upgraded/updated.  Have you try to
> > execute /sbin/start_udev after your udev package being updated?  Maybe
> > this will solve your issue like mine :)
>
> I didn't upgrade any packages when this happened.. so it was not about udev.
>
> Killing+restarting xenconsoled fixed it for me..

This happened again for me, but I forgot to take the strace.. doh.

I'll try to remember the next time it happens.. it seems to happen every now
and then, and on multiple machines..

I'm running CentOS 5.2, so it seems to happen with that version aswell.

Then again the userland Xen stuff in CentOS 5.2 is Xen 3.0.3 or so..
(even when the hypervisor in CentOS 5.2 is Xen 3.1.2.)

-- Pasi