Re: [Xen-devel] Virtual Bus

[Keir Fraser]
> On 06/04/2009 16:09, "Tej" <bewith.tej@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Are xen ppl are thinking to leverage Virtual Bus Technology recently
>> discussed on LKML
>> http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/3/31/339
>> http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/Virtual-bus

> We probably could, with some small Xen-specific additions to the
> Virtual Bus framework. However it'll be interesting to see whether
> it's a useful design point between our fully PV drivers (which have
> pretty decent performance) and full device passthrough (where
> there's no need to go through dom0 at all on the data path). In
> particular, we can do device hotplug with device passthrough, which
> may give us the flexibility that VB promises anyway.

One can also instantiate a virtual PCI bus in dom0 populated with
virtual devices (which can be mapped down to real devices).  As far as
I understand vbus, this fulfills all the promises of vbus without
introducing a new bus concept.  It allows you to use legacy PCI device
discovery mechanisms and even enables mapping the virtual devices to
other guests (as PCI passthrough).

        eSk