Re: [Xen-devel] HVM networking in Xen 3.4-rc3

Gary Grebus writes ("[Xen-devel] HVM networking in Xen 3.4-rc3"):
> I'm trying to understand how networking is intended to work for HVM
> domains in Xen 3.4-rc3.  My domain config file contains:
>
> vif = [ 'type=ioemu, mac=00:16:3e:5b:f8:ed, bridge=eth2' ]

This looks plausible.  Although I'm not 100% sure that the spaces are
permitted.  None of my config files have them ...

> and the bridge is correctly configured on eth2.  But the xm create
> command gets hung waiting for something to happen with the vif, and
> eventually fails with:

What does your /var/log/xen/xen-hotplug.log say ?

> Is qemu supposed to be involved in the hotplug mechanism, or is there
> something else I'm missing?

It's all very complicated (much more so than it needs to be).  Most of
the messing about is done by xend and by the hotplug script run by
xend.

> If modify qemu-ifup to write a value for the xenstore key, then the
> domain finishes booting and the network works.

The xenstore key is supposed to be done by the xend script, not
qemu-ifup.  And anyway the xenstore key is not relevant to the
operation of qemu.  I think xend is hanging up on itself.

Ian.