Re: [Xen-devel] HVM networking in Xen 3.4-rc3

On Wed, 2009-04-29 at 17:04 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Gary Grebus writes ("[Xen-devel] HVM networking in Xen 3.4-rc3"):
> > I'm trying to understand how networking is intended to work for HVM
> > domains in Xen 3.4-rc3.  My domain config file contains:
> >
> > vif = [ 'type=ioemu, mac=00:16:3e:5b:f8:ed, bridge=eth2' ]
>
> This looks plausible.  Although I'm not 100% sure that the spaces are
> permitted.  None of my config files have them ...

Spaces don't make any difference.  I've tried various things in the
"vif=".

> > and the bridge is correctly configured on eth2.  But the xm create
> > command gets hung waiting for something to happen with the vif, and
> > eventually fails with:
>
> What does your /var/log/xen/xen-hotplug.log say ?

It's empty, but that's because nothing is ever running the hotplug
scripts.

> > Is qemu supposed to be involved in the hotplug mechanism, or is there
> > something else I'm missing?
>
> It's all very complicated (much more so than it needs to be).  Most of
> the messing about is done by xend and by the hotplug script run by
> xend.
>
> > If modify qemu-ifup to write a value for the xenstore key, then the
> > domain finishes booting and the network works.
>
> The xenstore key is supposed to be done by the xend script, not
> qemu-ifup.  And anyway the xenstore key is not relevant to the
> operation of qemu.  I think xend is hanging up on itself.

Which is the xend script?  The hotplug scripts in /etc/xen/scripts seem
to be driven by the "online" and "offline" events
in /etc/udev/xen-backend.rules, but I can't see anything that generates
those events when qemu is involved.  Maybe there is some kernel piece
that I am missing?  I'm using a 2.6.27.21 (openSUSE 11.1) Xen kernel.

I'm not sure how this would work for PV-on-HVM drivers either, since
xend is blocking before it boots the guest.

        Gary