Re: [Xen-devel] How to submit code changes for Xen?

  • To: "Yi, Shunli" <syi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 10:59:11 +0100
  • Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Stephen Spector <stephen.spector@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 03:00:28 -0700

I believe the accepted protocol is to re-send the patch after 2-4
weeks, with a comment to the effect that you didn't get a response
last time; perhaps with the [RESEND] in the subject line, to alert
people that the last mail was dropped?

Obviously it would be nice if everyone got a comment the first time,
but that's not always possible.  This method may seem a little less
friendly, but in fact it has several positive attributes:
* It distributes the responsibility of keeping track of patches,
rather than having a centralized location
* It naturally filters out low-interest patches.  If neither the
submitter nor others on the list find it interesting, they naturally
get dropped instead of piling up in a queue somewhere; whereas, if the
submitter considers it interesting and important, he will persist
until he gets a response.

The main difficulty is letting new people know the policy: don't take
it hard if you don't get a response, just re-send after a few weeks.

Stephen, is there a "xen-devel guidelines" page up anywhere?  It might
be have something we can point people to, or that Google would turn up
if someone searched for "submitting patches to Xen"...

 -George