Re: [Xen-devel] VF as default interface on dom0

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 01:19:51PM +0530, Satish Chowdhury wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> Thanks for the reply and reproducing the problem.
>
> I didn't tried with pv_ops kernel yet.
>
> I guess the issue is not with the driver.  As I understand, the behavior is
> because of the L2 filtering done by 82576 NIC.
>
> The NIC filters frames based on MAC address that are assigned to VFs. In my
> experiment, the arp reply that reaches the NIC, has mac address of interface
> on VM(domU). NIC's filtering based on VF MAC address fail. So, packet is not
> queued to VF interface.  On dom0 a bridge is created, with VF and domUs
> virtual interfaces (no PF).
> If we group PF interface also into this bridge, because of bridge learning
> functionality, the packet get routed to the virtual interface and finally to
> VM.
>
> I am not 100% sure about above understanding of mine. Please, me know if you
> think i am wrong.

I suspect you are right, though I was hoping that its a problem
that could be fixed by the driver configuring the card slightly
differently.

It would probably be good to post your problem report to the
e1000-devel and/or netdev lists to get some more eye's on it.