Re: [Xen-devel] Crash with paravirt-ops 2.6.31.6 kernel

>>> Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> 23.11.09 16:25 >>>
>Perhaps simply not returning guest userspace with sysret (as above)
>makes most sense, a syscall already takes a trap through the hypervisor
>on both entry and exit so I'm not sure the difference between sysret and
>iret is going to be noticeable.

But this is not just the return-to-user-space path you're changing, but
also the hypercall one. You certainly don't want an iret in that case.

I wonder though whether it wouldn't be possible to alter the TRAP_syscall
value (stored when entering the hypervisor) in do_iret(), so that whatever
do_iret() puts on the stack will be processed by iret.

>> It does not happen on XenSource 2.6.18 kernel
>
>I assume that this kernel (perhaps coincidentally) manages to use
>FLAT_USER_CS32 for compat mode processes.
>
>> , or the Debian 2.6.26 kernel.
>
>This was a forward ported 2.6.18-style kernel so I guess the same reason
>as 2.6.18.

If your analysis was right, 2.6.18 as well as our forward ported kernels
should also be affected (both ia32_sysenter_target and ia32_cstar_target
store __USER32_CS to the frame, and return via HYPERVISOR_iret), yet
supposedly they don't have the problem (though I can't say why that
would be). So perhaps there's some other yet un-described aspect to
this, or I'm being confused by something...

Jan