Re: [Xen-devel] Problems booting latest xen pv-ops linux kernel

On 11/25/09 03:46, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:
> It seems with the bios option "ACPI APIC" on disabled:
> (BTW the description of this bios option is: "Allows you to enable or disable
> the ACPI support in the APIC, When enabled the ACPI APIC table pointer is
> included in the RSDT pointer list.")

I wonder what the rationale for this is?  I guess for some legacy OS
support?

> - xen 3.5 tip && 2.6.18.8-xen                            boots fine
> - 2.6.31.6 jeremy's tree (without hypervisor)            boots fine
> - xen 3.5 tip && 2.6.31.6 jeremy's tree                  doesn't boot
> completely at gives the problems reported.
>
> With the option on enabled, it also boots xen 3.5 tip && 2.6.31.6 fine, but
> for what i recall i have seen the same problem occur rarely too.

I think we're approaching the point of officially not supporting legacy
modes of operation (non-ACPI, non-APIC).  At the moment we're trying to
support them, but it just adds extra complexity for what I suspect is
little value.