[Xen-devel] Re: [Pkg-xen-devel] HVM support to be removed from Debian Squeeze: call for volunteers

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 12:59:13PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Now, if the qemu-dm binary have been removed from the hypervisor
> packages, nothing prevents anyone to make a new Debian package that
> would have only the HVM bits of Xen, depending on the hypervisor
> package, and then having it uploaded to SID (so that it would go in
> testing later).

I fact I already worked on such a package. The qemu-fork just need some
small patches to link against the provided libraries. However it is
again a fork and the patches are not clean enough to merge that into
qemu upstream yet and build it from their.

>                 Later, we could ask the maintainers of the
> xen-linux-system package to add yet another dependency to the new
> "xen-hvm-support" package that we would create (are you ok with this new
> package name?).

No, this is xen-qemu-dm. HVM works properly without, using a stubdomain.

>                Someone that is willing to do this job of security
> maintenance HAS to raise hand here, otherwise I will NOT shoot myself in
> the foot by asking for an upload of a package that would have a bad
> security maintenance team (this is the kind of behavior that people hate
> in Debian, which I think is right: no package with poor maintenance
> should enter the distribution).

The Xen in stable and oldstable is currently in this state. I fixed
several bugs in the core hypervisor but ignored the qemu part.

>                  Best could be to create a project in Alioth (which I
> never did, maybe someone else who had this experience should do it for
> the team), or anywhere else. GPLHost can host the git repository and/or
> web space for that.

This is best maintained as part of the existing Xen team, which needs
some cleanups.

> P.S. to Bastian: Are you willing to help the team with advices, even if
> you don't take any responsibility in the package?

Sure. I'm always available for advices.

I would like to have some further packages anyway: pv-grub,
qemu-stubdom. But the build environment for that needs a complete
rewrite to be able to produce acceptable packages. It needs to reuse
existing packages.

Bastian

--
A Vulcan can no sooner be disloyal than he can exist without breathing.
                -- Kirk, "The Menagerie", stardate 3012.4