[Xen-devel] RE: Live migration fails due to c/s 20627

Dan Magenheimer wrote on Tue, 15 Dec 2009 at 09:08:40:

> As Jeremy has pointed out, the guest OS already has
> other mechanisms to provide this information, and
> as Jun has pointed out, the non-rdtscp mechanism (lsl
> on Linux) may even be faster. Windows does not even
> provide TSC_AUX, so it definitely has other ways to
> obtain node/cpu info.  And, as I've said before,
> the node/cpu info provided by Linux in TSC_AUX is
> wrong anyway (except in very constrained environments
> such as where the admin has pinned vcpus to pcpus).

I think we should distinguish architectural support and Linux-specific issues.
We need to enable RDSTCP support in HVM if user apps want to use it. If we want
the Linux or other kernel to stop using TSC_AUX, we can mask off the feature in
CPUID. Access to the MSR should result in #GP in the guest if the feature is
not advertized.

BTW, I'm hearing that the max TSC difference among CPUs is less than 10 cycles
or so (virtually 0) at least Intel-based machines (except limited ones with
known issues), so probably such pinning should not be required because vcpu
migration should take more than.

Jun
___
Intel Open Source Technology Center