Re: [Xen-devel] xen.git plans / 2.6.32 long-term stable kernel

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 10:40:02AM -0800, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> On 01/20/2010 02:18 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
>> It seems Linux 2.6.32 will be a long term supported stable release,
>> ending up in multiple distros..
>>
>> Distros that are probably going to use it:
>>
>>      - Debian 6.0 ("Squeeze")
>>      - Ubuntu 10.04 LTS ("Lucid Lynx")
>>      - RHEL6
>>
>> Please correct me if I'm wrong :)
>>
>> kernel.org developers are also going to make 2.6.32 a long-term stable
>> release.
>> (announced yesterday).
>
> Yep, that all works out nicely doesn't it?

Can you please update xen.git to have a branch based off
stable/linux-2.6.32.y.git ? Right now it's still a stable .31.6 and mainline
.32-rc5 in there, so we're missing a couple of months worth of bug fixes.

Since this kernel is going to enter so many stable distribution releases,
it would really be a good idea to get that exact combination widely tested
'in the wild'.

I'm asking particularly because the current Debian dom0 kernel (based on
.18 patches forward-ported onto .26) turned out to have a major regression
issue described in http://bugs.debian.org/534880 that didn't even get
reported until months after the release. Perhaps this particular bug is
specific to the old branch, but then the new paravirt_ops branch may have
some other, newer bugs of its own, so it makes sense to encourage widespread
testing as soon as possible.

My own 2.6.31.6+paravirt_ops dom0 test machine is still working great after
several months, so I'm optimistic. Thanks for all the hard work that made it
happen.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.