[Xen-users] RE: [Xen-devel] 2.6.32.6 (baremetal) fails to restart Intel i7 860 with P55 chipset.

> Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 15:31:23 -0500
> From: konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx
> To: viaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> CC: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [Xen-devel] 2.6.32.6 (baremetal) fails to shutdown Intel i7 860 with P55 chipset.

> > > <scratches his head> That is most bizzare.
> > > Can you try to get the latest linux kernel and see how it works?
> > >

> > Well its not the 'latest' linux kernel, but I installed 2.6.30-8-amd64 from http://packages.debian.org/lenny-backports/kernel/linux-image-2.6.30-bpo.2-amd64 and the reboot hangs the same way.
>
> That is too old. Use the one from http://kernel.org/. You will have to
> compile it.

Latest Stable Kernel:

2.6.32.8

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.32.8.tar.bz2

I will download the tarball and compile it ASAP.

> > That leads me to believe something in the mechanism of a system reboot has changed since 2.6.26-2-amd64.
>
> Just to be clear, your problem is not related to Xen, as your problem
> happen on bare-metal, so I am changing the title.
> .. snip..
> > root@localhost:/usr/src# diff ./linux-2.6-2.6.26/arch/x86/kernel/reboot.c ./linux-2.6-xen/arch/x86/kernel/reboot.c > diff.out
> > root@localhost:/usr/src# nano diff.out
> > root@localhost:/usr/src# diff -y ./linux-2.6-2.6.26/arch/x86/kernel/reboot.c ./linux-2.6-xen/arch/x86/kernel/reboot.c > diff.out2
>
> Yes. Thanks for the diffs. There is nothing in it that catches my eye
> as: "This is it!"

Shall I attach the complete reboot.c files? Also I agree the subject fits better, I have just changed fails to shutdown to fails to restart as that is where my problems lies.

Additionally is there any other info I can get you from my machine that will assist?

I have updated my system's BIOS to the latest version, but it has been the same version since I started this thread on this issue.

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18605/eng/KG_4507_ReleaseNotes.pdf

And my mothboard is an Intel® Desktop Board DP55WG

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=40078

-M

Live connected with Hotmail on your phone. Learn more.