Re: [Xen-devel] RE: VT-d support proprietary NVidia/ATI GPU passthrough

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 12:32:48PM +0000, Timothy J. Moore wrote:
> How can xen implement these vendor specific resets?  How could we find out
> the gfx vendor specific stuff?
>
> Can we take anything from the opensource NV, nouveau, or Gallium3D drivers?

As I understand it, the reason for the FLR is to re-initialize the video
cards to re-run through the basic ROM code. Pretty much exactly the same
thing that is done during machine startup. But for gfx pass-through you
need to this with the Bochs code running so it can call the gfx BIOS.

I don't think that the open-source drivers go so low to re-initialize
the card?

Thought perhaps another way to do this, is to put the cards in D3 (cold)
state and then re-initialize them back up? (this is btw, what the
pciback drivers does when it seizes the card).