Re: [Xen-devel] first attempt of pvscai backend driver port to pvops

On 03/11/2010 03:29 PM, James Harper wrote:
Attached is my first attempt at getting the backend pvscsi driver
(scsiback) working under the latest pvops kernel. I have tested it with
the scsi frontend driver in gplpv, and have restored about 20GB of data
from a HP LTO3 tape drive successfully, so it appears to be working
fine.

There are quite a few changes compared to the version in 2.6.18. The
main change is that I get the vaddr for each sg element and use the
regular dma calls to make it work instead of all the magic that the
2.6.18 version used to use that isn't exported anymore.

I created a new branch in a local git repo, what git magic do I need to
weave to make the patch look a bit neater?

It does need some cleaning up. Run it through linux/scripts/checkpatch.pl and iterate until its fairly clean (as clean as possible without making it barbarous). Most obvious is that kernel code uses 8-width hard tabs.

The patch also seems to contain usbback. Did you mean to include it? Either way it shouldn't be part of the scsi patches.

If possible and sensible, split the patch into logically separate parts (like introduce infrastructure, use infrastructure for a, for b, for c). However for these kinds of "new subsystem" patches, it often makes most sense to just have one large patch adding the new code.

Please base the patches on (ideally) 2.6.31 or .32. If you need some Xen infrastructure (which is likely), then base the patch on the xen/dom0/backend/common branch.

Mail your patches to the list for review (but, please, inlined plain text). But the easiest way for me to include the patches is if I can pull them from your git server. If you can't make your own machine accessible, you can set up an account on github.com, or ask for an account on kernel.org.

I haven't actually looked at the substance of the patch yet.

Thanks,