Re: [Xen-devel] Automatic loading of xen-evtchn module in Xen 4.0.0?

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 23:47 +0100, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

> In practice there's no need to get very modular.  There's some value
> in
> not loading all that backend support code unless we're actually dom0,
> but I don't think there's much value in getting too fine-grained
> beyond that.  The actual drivers themselves are fairly ordinary, so
> they will probably just work if we can make xenbus generate the right
> request events.  Hm, I guess that would be the tool stack setting
> things up for a new domain, and requesting backend devices in the
> process, no?

What happens with frontend hotplug, and should happen with backends too,
is that the xenbus core watches the "device" (or "backend") node in
xenstore (relative to the domain's root path "/local/domain/<X>/"). The
tools then create the necessary nodes to create the device which
triggers the xenstore watch, e.g. on a path starting with "vif", which
causes xenbus to generate a uevent with the necessary MODALIAS, see
drivers/xen/xenbus/xenbus_probe.c:xenbus_uevent().

The only problem with this is getting the initial xenbus-backend.ko
loaded so that it can do the watch -- perhaps that falls in the same
boat as evtchn and gntdev etc.

Ian.