Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] Xen 4 - Page Sharing HowTo?

  • To: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Andrew Lyon <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 15:59:19 +0100
  • Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, XEN Mailing List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 08:00:53 -0700

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Should be unconditionally printed during Xen boot. Not when memory sharing
> is first used.
>
>>> Also the 4.0 release announcement mentioned page to disk, but again I
>>> can find no reference to that... has anybody tested these new
>>> features?
>
> I think you run the xenpaging daemon manually on each domain you want to
> have paged to disc. The daemon is probably under /usr/sbin/xenpaging. It
> takes two arguments: domain-id and memory allocated to the domain, in 4kB
> pages (e.g., memory in MB, multiplied by 256).
>
>  -- Keir

Hmm, I tried that but as soon as I run xenpaging it outputs lots of errors:

ERROR Internal error: Error mapping page
ERROR Internal error: Error mapping page
ERROR Internal error: Error mapping page
ERROR Internal error: Error mapping page
ERROR Internal error: Error flushing ioemu cache
ERROR Internal error: Error mapping page
ERROR Internal error: Error mapping page
ERROR Internal error: Error mapping page
ERROR Internal error: Error mapping page
ERROR Internal error: Error mapping page
ERROR Internal error: Error mapping page
ERROR Internal error: Error mapping page

Perhaps there are hardware requirements for page to disk?

Any idea what I need to do to have memory sharing support compiled
into blktap2? The combination of memory sharing + blktap2 results in
this error when I try to start a vm:

using config file "./jos-ts3.cfg".
Error: Failed to create device.
    stdout:
    stderr: MEMSHR support not compiled in.
Check that target "/mnt/tb1_store/Xen_VMs/WinXP/WinXP.hda" exists and
that blktap2 driver installed in dom0.

Andy