RE: [Pkg-xen-devel] [Xen-devel] xen-linux-system-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64: Lenovo R61, kernel boots on baremetel, no boot with xen4 hypervisor?

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 08:52:50 +0300 <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 08:08:14PM -0400, Mike wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > I have performed a fresh install (fully updated) of squeeze amd64 and
> > installed the xen-linux-system-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64 package with all its
> > dependencies.
> >
> > When I restart and tried to boot the linux-image-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64 (pvops
> > style) kernel on bare-metal my laptop boots fine.
> >
> > When I use the hyper-visor on the system with the same
> > linux-image-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64 kernel, it hangs and does not boot up...
> >
> > Attached is my grub.cfg and relevant dmesg output (notice the failure
> > messages start occurring near the bottom).
> >
> > So, should I be filling a bug for this issue or does anyone on the list
> > have a better suggestion?
> >

> So it starts all the way until X starts?
> Does it work OK without X?
>
> Did you try "nomodeset" parameter for the dom0 kernel?
>
> -- Pasi

nomodeset does not fix the booting issue via the xen 4 hypervisor. Also it breaks the booting on bare-metal as well.

In which way do you prose I boot my system without X....

My default runlevel is 2 according to /etc/inittab

# The default runlevel.
id:2:initdefault:

But I get gdm and gnome DE by default.

Thanks for your help :)