Re: [Xen-devel] Testing the kernels

Jeremy Fitzhardinge writes ("[Xen-devel] Testing the kernels"):
> I think you should use "xen/next-2.6.32" as the input to the test
> subsystem.  If you have a git tree on xenbits with a, say,
> "xen/tested-2.6.32" branch which gets updated when the tests pass,

I have done roughly this.  It seems to be mostly working[1] after I
told it to do some tests over the weekend, so I've reenabled it for
emailing to the list.

[1] When I say working I mean that the test system is functioning
properly.  Unfortunately many of the tests themselves are failing.

The tested tree is:
  http://xenbits.xensource.com/gitweb?p=linux-pvops.git;a=summary
  git://xenbits.xensource.com/linux-pvops.git
branch "master".

I can switch the tester's input at will.  Can you promise that when we
do that, all updates will be fast forwards, so that the tested output
branch is always fast forwarding ?

>  then I can make that automatically update xen/stable-2.6.32.x for
> public consumption.

Can this be done in a way that doesn't involve waiting for you ?  The
testing system obviously pushes automatically and it would be good to
publish those things in the right places without further manual
intervention.

Also, you'll see that I chose a single branch name "master" rather
than encoding the kernel version number.  This is because I think we
should have one branch tested like this, rather than a separate branch
for each kernel version.

When we update the kernel version we intend to use, this should be a
fast forward update and gated though the testing in the ordinary way,
so it should update the same tag.  Do you agree ?

Ian.