Re: [Xen-devel] linux kernel 2.6.37

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 11:19:02PM +0300, Vasiliy G Tolstov wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-01-21 at 19:16 +0300, Vasiliy G Tolstov wrote:
> > On Fri, 2011-01-21 at 10:30 -0500, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> >
> > > Do you see any messages during bootup about memory being returned? Look
> > > for
> > > xen_release_chunk .. and pages freed ?
> [snip]
>
> Hello. Konrad, do You have any progress about this issue?

Try booting your kernel with 'debug loglevel=10 memblock=debug'. I know that at
least
64MB is used for SWIOTLB (which you don't need - you can disable that since you
are
not doing any PCI passthrough), 6MB for kernel + kernel data. The
"memblock=debug" will
give you the details to figure out who else is eating the big swaths of memory.

Is this also a problem if you boot the guest as HVM? What happens if you boot
your
PV guest without 'maxmem=4096' and .. oh, I think I know why this is happening
= the
kernel allocates pagetables as if you have 4GB of memory and that eats much of
low memory.
If you decrease the 'maxmem' you should see a smaller amount being used.