Re: [Xen-devel] HVM vs. PV in Reliability

On Sun, 2011-02-20 at 12:55 +0000, Yutao Liu wrote:
> Hello,I'm wondering are there any datum that can compare the
> reliability/availability/dependability of HVM and PV, especially the
> driver of them?
> For example, how many bugs found in the drivers of HVM and PV?

In the case of PVHVM drivers these are the same drivers so the numbers
would be the same.

> Can any experimental datum tell HVM model is safer or otherwise?...

I don't know of any specific work in this area. It sounds like it would
be an interesting project for someone with an interest in reliability
engineering etc to undertake.

> If a driver in HVM crashed, will it affect DomU, Dom0, or others? and
> what about PV?

All domains are equally isolated from the other domains in the system,
be they domain 0, PV domU or other HVM domains. One domain cannot crash
another unless it has particular privilege.

Ian