Re: [Xen-devel] HVM vs. PV in Reliability

At 12:55 +0000 on 20 Feb (1298206540), Yutao Liu wrote:
> Hello,I'm wondering are there any datum that can compare the
> reliability/availability/dependability of HVM and PV, especially the driver
> of them?
> For example, how many bugs found in the drivers of HVM and PV? Can any
> experimental datum tell HVM model is safer or otherwise?...
> If a driver in HVM crashed, will it affect DomU, Dom0, or others? and what
> about PV?
> Is there some research or paper talk about this?

The conventional wisdom is that since HVM has a much bigger TCB it's
probably in some sense less secure.  I don't know whether anyone has
done any serious measurement or analysis of that though.

Tim.

--
Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Principal Software Engineer, Xen Platform Team